Welcome, Bike Angels! As a Bike Angel, you can start earning points for your trips, redeemable for rewards and perks. Sign up today!
Who are Bike Angels?
We work hard to manage bike availability, but we understand that there’s nothing more frustrating than a station with too few bikes or docks. That’s why we call upon Bike Angels: we believe our riders should be rewarded for trips they take that help other riders. Partnering with and rewarding our riders will help make Citi Bike better than ever. Small groups of users have signed up as Bike Angels over the past year, and we’ve seen excellent results. Now we’re ready to expand the team, and we hope you’ll join us improve the Citi BIke system for all riders!
How to earn points
As a Bike Angel, you earn points for moving bikes to or from select stations that see high demand, based on the time of day. In many cases, this simply means starting your trip from a station that’s nearby where you would normally start from or docking at a station that’s just a short walk from your destination. We’ll provide a map of points-earning stations within your Citi Bike app and online. Points earn rewards like gift cards, membership extensions, unique Citi Bike keys and more. It's free to sign up, and you can start earning points today! Sign up to get started.
Bike Angels can access a dynamic map that identifies stations in need of more bikes or docks. See below for the map indicating stations that earn points right now.
Upward “pick-up” arrows mark the stations full of bikes or likely to need docks soon. Take a bike from these stations and you’ll earn points.
Downward "drop-off” arrows indicate stations in need of bikes. See two lines by the arrow? More lines = more points = more rewards.
- Pick-Up Station → Neutral Station = 1 pt
- Neutral Station → Drop-Off Station = 1 pt
- Pick-Up Station → Drop-Off Station = 2 pts
- Bonus points: Stations with two marks are worth two points each (and thus the way to really rack up points). Riding from a pick-up station to a drop-off station is worth four points. Occasionally, when bikes or docks are especially needed, you may see three point stations!
- Timing: Station points “freeze” when you start your trip, so rest assured knowing your planned drop-off station will not change score mid-trip!
- If you pick up a bike from a drop-off station or dock a bike at a pick-up station, the trip will not earn points
- There's no limit to how many points you can earn per day
- Bookmark the Bike Angels website for easy access to the most up-to-date map!
Bike Angels features a dynamic map that identifies stations in need of more bikes or docks. To turn this feature on, simply select “Bike Angels” in the Map Layers section of the Citi Bike iPhone app. (Make sure you have the newest version of the app!)
Android users, bookmark this page for easy access to the map. (App coming soon!)
Monthly Rewards and Leaderboard
- Membership Extensions: For every 20 points you earn, we’ll extend your Citi Bike membership by one week. (Maximum of four extensions per month)
- Top Earners: In May, the top-scoring Bike Angels will earn the following gift amounts (sent as electronic gift card):
- 1st = $100
- 2nd = $75
- 3rd = $50
- 4th = $25
- 5th = $25
- Timing: All trips that begin on or after May 1st and end before June 1st will count towards earning May rewards
- Members are identified by their first initial + last initial + last three numbers of their zip code on the leaderboard
Bike Angels Leaderboard (May 2017)
Bike Angel Status
- On top of monthly rewards, the most active Bike Angels can earn rewards and perks for reaching Bike Angel Status
- Timing: Bike Angel Status points accrue on an annual basis, beginning April 1st
- Check back each month for additional statuses, perks, and rewards
- Who can be a Bike Angel?
- How do I earn points?
- Bike Angels earn points whenever they pick-up a bike from a station indicated on our Bike Angels map in need of dock space or drop-off a bike at a station in need of bikes. The map updates based on neighboring stations and historical flows of bikes
- I took a trip that should’ve earned points but I wasn’t emailed. Help?
- Feel free to fill out this missing points form and we'll make sure to investigate the trip for you and add any missing points to your account a few days before the end of the month
- Does moving bikes help fellow riders?
- Yes! Each bike a Bike Angel moves typically helps at least one fellow rider by freeing up a dock or supplying a bike . Often, this rider in turn enables another trip, and the Bike Angel’s efforts continue to be paid forward!
- When are rewards distributed?
- We distribute rewards to our Bike Angels in the first week of each month
- Is there a limit to the points I can earn in a month?
- Nope. We’ve seen Bike Angels rack up hundreds of points in a month; the more the merrier!
- Which stations can earn points?
- All stations have the ability to earn points depending on the demand for bikes and docks. Often times, there’s a station only one or two blocks away from your destination that can earn points with only a slight adjustment to your route
- How do I turn on the map layer in the Citi Bike app?
- If the Bike Angels map layer isn’t appearing for you after attempting to log off and back on, we recommend deleting and re-installing the app.
- Other questions?
- Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org!